You heard about it, you read about it, and I can only confirm it, Lisbon, this multicultural, vibrant and versatile city is indeed beyond amazing. I can only encourage anyone looking for a new adventure to travel there, to discover a bit more of its history, its culture, its art and its magnificent places. And it is fairly cheap! Yet, what strikes me most about Lisbon, what made Lisbon such an enriching experience was the people. In this city people have generally been really patient, kind, open-minded and made me feel especially comfortable and welcomed.
The features that you can not miss :
- The mesmerizing old town, a maze of stairs and alleys: Alfama and its surroundings
- Alcantara – Belem and the docks
- The UNESCO world heritage site Sintra
- The beaches of the former fishing village Cascais
- The dynamic nightlife in Bairro Alto and Chiado
- Estrella, Jardim da Estrella and discover the other amazing parks
- Take part in one of the many festivals and concerts throughout the city
- Try out the different natural juices
- Visit some of the many museums
- The city is an open street art museum, explore that too!
Solo trip = Redirection to the right path for you
Trips are always mind-changing experiences especially when you do it by yourself. This trip was no exception in easing my mind personally, broadening my horizons and redirecting me in the right direction.
While being in Portugal learning Portuguese I realize that before learning any other language I should stop pushing back my desire to improve my knowledge in my own native language. How can I make the most of learning from other communities if I do not fully comprehend my own? I believe in the importance of starting where you are, of getting to know yourself first. Therefore, the best way to grow as an individual, and open my mind is to improve my language skills in my own language first.
© All pictures my own.